Friday, January 16, 2015

Another coder?

I introduced Grafton to the "Lightbot One Hour Coding" app, which is an educational app that teaches the basics of programming in a visual way. He picked up the programming environment quickly and with little help proceeded through Level 1. He was usually able to figure out where a bug in a given program existed and to remove and redo the undesired commands. Level 2 required use of procedures--a set of repeated commands that can be packaged into a single, reusable higher-level command. Grafton immediately recognized how to make use of this programming abstraction, and how it helped simplify and shorten the main program, which gave me great pleasure to witness. He knew exactly when it was appropriate to call the procedure from his main program. I think what made me happiest of all is that he kept at it for almost an hour and repeatedly declared "I love programming!" If this is the start of his programming education, he'll have had a two year jump on his Dad--so I look forward to seeing where this takes him.

3 comments:

  1. Is this the same person who received the certificate for programming? Even though his daddy's name was on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this is fabulous! It's not hard to know how excited Grafton's daddy must be. He must be the youngest programmer on the planet (I'm a grandma, remember?) and his Pop-Pop is thrilled as well. He met me in the street to tell me to immediately get on to G's blog, saying this with a huge smile. I knew it was something important, and so we all know who else is beaming by this development.

    So proud and delighted,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have the blog set up to ping me when there's a new entry on Grafton's Blog. So checking in this morning was a very joyful experience. His logic and intelligence coupled with his concentration powers is truly amazing and heartwarming. I'm really impressed. Is it nature or nurture or both in some ideal ratio.

    Question: When does Grafton start his own blog?

    Pop-Pop

    ReplyDelete