While we were making dinner, Grafton slyly mentions to his parents that he is heading upstairs to "check the carpets." His parents exchange a quick grin and raised eyebrow to one another. "Okay, Grafton! Let us know how that goes." As he heads upstairs, Mom deciphers this odd declaration to mean that he is in fact going upstairs to put on his favorite pajamas. She shares this realization with Dad, who nods with understanding. As Grafton reaches his room, Dad calls out, "How are things going up there?" "Fine, Dad!" Toilet flushes. Dad asks again, "Are you coming back down soon? Do you need any help up there?" Grafton quickly responds, "No, Daddy! I don't need any help. Don't come up here." The door to Grafton's bedroom is now closed, and sounds are muffled. Another exchange between Dad and Grafton, who answers that is everything is fine. After a while we hear his footsteps as he slowly descends the stairs. Upon entering the kitchen, he shows up with a probing smile, and tilted head, trying to look cute enough to diffuse the certain reprimand of having put on his pajamas before dinner time. It works. Mom gives in and asks with excitement, "Did you put those on all by yourself!?" Confidently, Grafton responds that he did. Mom and Dad smile at each other, the whole act being too adorable to ruin with another "lesson" in what constitutes appropriate dinner attire. Of course, in our acceptance of his actions, we have now set ourselves up to deal with continued acts of willful deceit for many years to come.
You've got to hand it to the little guy--he's really beginning to figure out how to get what he wants.
Update: I now realize that back on Mar 2, I started writing a blog entry, which I never finished. I'll simply share it here, unfinished, as it highlights how Grafton dealt with being told "no" only two months ago:
When I tell Grafton that there's something he not allowed or is unable to do because he's a child, he usually responds, "Daddy, when you were a lilly [little] boy, your Mommy and Daddy said that you can't do [X] because you...[repeating whatever reason I had given him]?" He seems to want to make sure that everything he's going through as a small person is similar to what his Daddy and Mommy had to go through too. And if that's the case, then it's alright with him.
He's using that smart, little noodle of his. And mom and dad handled it so well.
ReplyDeleteNana