A couple of paraphrased conversations with our son this week:
Yesterday, we were explaining to him why he needs to be careful with his head when he's playing rough.
Dad and Mom explained: "...you have to protect your ears, and your eyes, and..."
Then Dad finished with: "...and the most important thing to protect is your brain!"
Grafton: "Where is the brain?"
Dad: "Feel your head--see how it's hard? That's your skull. Inside that is your brain."
I went on explaining to him what the brain does so he would understand why it's so important to protect: "You know when you see something? Well, it's your brain that is seeing something. And when you hear something, it's your brain that is hearing something..." (and so on).
And then Grafton cuts to the chase and tells us, "And when I'm thinking, my brain does the thinking."
Well, I guess we don't have to simplify our explanations quite so much...
Today, Grafton interrupts our conversation while in the car as he usually does by calling out, "Excuse me! Excuse me! I want to say something now." After we acknowledge him, he says "I want to tell you a story. When I was a little boy...[unintelligible speech for a little while]...My friend Eekie Eeeks draws the pictures and I draw the words to the book." Later on, "Eekie Eeeks died. He was old and he's not living anymore. But Grafton is here and Grafton will meet a new friend." Finally, "I am going to die soon too. And Grafton won't be here anymore."Parents (horrified), "No! You are going to live for a long, long, long time."
Finally, a few days ago, Grafton asks, out of nowhere, "What is high school?"
Grafton's brain is definitely working well.
ReplyDeleteGrandpa