Thursday, November 11, 2010

Do Re Mi...

In an attempt to distract Grafton from his whining about going to bed, I started singing "Do[e], a deer..", and he finished the line, "a female deer". I continued, "Re...", and he produced a shy rebuttal, "a drop of golden sun". Neva and I looked up at each other, but with a look of disbelief--it had been two weeks since we last watched the Sound of Music.  And while we had sung this song to him many times for a day or two afterwards, he had never sang and the words before himself.  Grafton was waiting for the next note, so I continued, "Me..."  to which Grafton retorted, "a name I call myself".  Then, "Fa..."  Well you know the rest. And so did Grafton! Well, every line, except "La" (a note to follow "so").  We were really surprised he knew the whole song.  We promised him he could watch a scene from the movie in the morning, if we went to bed now.  And he did, without complaint.

1 comment:

  1. That is pretty amazing! When that boy focuses on something, you can't break his concentration. No doubt that's why he's got such a great memory--he doesn't let anything get in the way of his learning music or his songs. Watch out! The next Broadway musical written by a 3-year-old--GGT.

    Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete